Here’s a preview of a track from Ringo Starr’s forthcoming solo album, Ringo 2012. “Wings” is actually a badly needed remake of a song Starr co-wrote some 35 years ago.
LISTEN UP!: Ringo Starr, “Wings” (Ringo 2012)
“Wings” was originally part of Ringo the 4th, a dance-y flop produced in 1977 by slickster disco maven Arif Mardin. The cool-rocking little do-over, featuring brother-in-law Joe Walsh and Benmont Tench of Tom Petty’s Heartbreakers, will be released as part of Starr’s 17th solo album on January 31 in the US, and January 30 elsewhere, through HIP-O/UMe Records. Other guests include Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Charlie Haden, Amy Keys, Van Dyke Parks, Dave Stewart, Don Was and Edgar Winter, among others. Parks, Stewart and Walsh share songwriting credits.
Ringo the 4th only got to No. 162 in the U.S. — and didn’t chart at all in Britain. Atlantic Records later dropped Starr — and you can see why, based on this original version of “Wings”:
This new track, by the way, isn’t the only time Starr returns to his own recording past. There’s also a new take on “Step Lightly,” from the 1973 smash Ringo. There are two other covers, as well: “Think It Over” by Buddy Holly and “Rock Island Line,” a skiffle song made popular by Lonnie Donegan, a favorite of the Beatles as youngsters.
The complete track listing for Ringo 2012:
1. Anthem (Richard Starkey/Glen Ballard)
2. Wings (Richard Starkey/Vince Poncia)
3. Think It Over (Buddy Holly/Norman Perry)
4. Samba (Richard Starkey/Van Dyke Parks)
5. Rock Island Line (Arr: Richard Starkey)
6. Step Lightly (Richard Starkey)
7. Wonderful (Richard Starkey/Gary Nicholson)
8. In Liverpool (Richard Starkey/Dave Stewart)
9. Slow Down (Richard Starkey/Joe Walsh)
Latest posts by Nick DeRiso (see all)
- ‘That’s the way it goes’: Gregg Rolie’s first post-Journey album gave Eddie Money a hit - March 10, 2014
- Flaco Jimenez and Max Baca – Flaco and Max: Legends and Legacies (2014) - March 10, 2014
- ‘The place would go nuts’: Steve Cropper played underrated role on signature early Stax hit - March 10, 2014