photo: Don Getsug by S. Victor Aaron Unless they have already been a key player in an established band, debut album of jazz solo artists tend to be uninspired affairs. Not yet finding their own identity, these neophytes often fall back on mimicking their major influences, making very competent but unexceptional records. Even most of the best musicians start offRead More
The Latest from Something Else!
- Matthew Shipp on David S. Ware, unusual collaborations + the Miles Davis Paradigm
- Frank Sinatra, “Only the Lonely” from Ultimate Sinatra (2015): One Track Mind
- Overly Polite Tornadoes – When You Wake Up (2015)
- Royal Philharmonic with Gavin Harrison + Guthrie Govan, “21st Century Schizoid Man” (2015): Exclusive stream
- Miles Davis’ brilliant, misunderstood Bitches Brew broke every rule: ‘An art form unto itself’
- King Crimson’s brief, but important, double-trio era peaked with Thrak