A canny mixture of an old-school swinging style with the then-new cool sound, even if its name sounds like a goof. Shorty Rogers, who’d first garnered attention as part of bands led by Woody Herman (both the first and second Herds) and then Stan Kenton, had a way of confounding expectations. Born Milton Rajonsky in 1924, Rogers was one ofRead More
The Latest from Something Else!
- Donny McCaslin – Fast Future (2015)
- King Crimson’s brief, but important, double-trio era peaked with Thrak
- Todd Rundgren, “You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away” (2015): Exclusive advance stream
- John Manning – White Bear (1971): Forgotten Series
- Otis Taylor, “Cold at Midnight” from Hey Joe Opus / Red Meat (2015): One Track Mind
- How I learned to love (or at least tolerate) Wilco’s Yankee Hotel Foxtrot