A canny mixture of an old-school swinging style with the then-new cool sound, even if its name sounds like a goof. Shorty Rogers, who’d first garnered attention as part of bands led by Woody Herman (both the first and second Herds) and then Stan Kenton, had a way of confounding expectations. Born Milton Rajonsky in 1924, Rogers was one ofRead More
The Latest from Something Else!
- Jon Anderson, Patrick Moraz discuss Yes’ challenging Relayer: ‘Very close to the edge of jazz rock’
- Jamie Hoover – Two Ever (2014)
- Steely Dan, “Black Friday” (1975): Deep Cuts
- Levon Helm, Bob Dylan remain unlikely heroes of The Last Waltz: Across the Great Divide
- Sanctuary – The Year the Sun Died (2014)
- Micky Dolenz says the Hollywood Vampires started out as something else entirely