by Nick DeRiso Bassist Charles Mingus, an enlightening yet stormy presence, clearly felt he had unfinished business with some of his earlier work. So, he used “Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus” and a move to the more creatively open Impulse! label to take another pass at them. That turned into a dramatic remodeling project for Mingus. In fact, he ripsRead More
The Latest from Something Else!
- Miles Davis’ brilliant, misunderstood Bitches Brew broke every rule: ‘An art form unto itself’
- Frank Sinatra, “Only the Lonely” from Ultimate Sinatra (2015): One Track Mind
- Overly Polite Tornadoes – When You Wake Up (2015)
- Royal Philharmonic with Gavin Harrison + Guthrie Govan, “21st Century Schizoid Man” (2015): Exclusive stream
- Matthew Shipp on David S. Ware, unusual collaborations + the Miles Davis Paradigm
- King Crimson’s brief, but important, double-trio era peaked with Thrak