by Nick DeRiso Bassist Charles Mingus, an enlightening yet stormy presence, clearly felt he had unfinished business with some of his earlier work. So, he used “Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus” and a move to the more creatively open Impulse! label to take another pass at them. That turned into a dramatic remodeling project for Mingus. In fact, he ripsRead More
The Latest from Something Else!
- Jimmy Rushing, “Good Morning Blues” (1937): One Track Mind
- Jack Bruce + Gary Moore, Ginger Baker, others – Rockpalast: The 50th Birthday Concerts (2014)
- Nick DeRiso’s Best of 2014 (Rock + Roots): David Crosby, John Oates, Lloyd Cole
- Inside Phil Collins’ blatant rip off of Prince on ‘Sussudio': ‘Never ran away from that idea’
- Phil Ochs (1940-1976): An Appreciation
- Pink Floyd’s David Gilmour on taking over for Roger Waters: ‘Not a burden I was particularly relishing’