by Nick DeRiso Bassist Charles Mingus, an enlightening yet stormy presence, clearly felt he had unfinished business with some of his earlier work. So, he used “Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus” and a move to the more creatively open Impulse! label to take another pass at them. That turned into a dramatic remodeling project for Mingus. In fact, he ripsRead More
The Latest from Something Else!
- Mats Gustafsson, on the state of jazz: Something Else! Interview
- Phil Collins found himself at a crossroads with Hello, I Must Be Going!
- The folkiest moment on Queen’s Night at the Opera was still a trip
- Daniel Davies + Sebastian Robertson – Condemned (2015)
- Grand Funk Railroad – E Pluribus Funk (1971): Forgotten Series
- Mavis Staples goes behind the scenes at the Band’s Last Waltz: ‘It wasn’t rehearsed to go like that’
- Stanley Clarke, Biréli Lagrène, Jean-Luc Ponty – D-Stringz (2015)
Trending Right Now
- Brian May talks about Adam Lambert's Queen transformation: 'He's really evolved, hugely' 68 comments
- Paul McCartney's overly mechanized <i>Press to Play</i> had one saving grace 38 comments
- Paul McCartney's guileless, but oft-criticized <i>Ram</i> was a handmade gem 33 comments
- Daryl Hall on the Hall and Oates song that should have been a hit: 'It didn’t get any response whatsoever' 32 comments
- Which Yardbirds guitarist was better? Ritchie Blackmore decides: 'He doesn’t have many ideas' 28 comments
- The Beatles' <i>Abbey Road</i> wasn't just a showcase for Paul McCartney 17 comments