photo: Cryptogramophone by Pico The hermitic but acclaimed multi-reedist Bennie Maupin is suddenly prolific. As a sideman for Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock during fusion’s formative years, Maupin’s versatility and sensitivity across a wide variety of wind instruments garnered him work on important documents of the genre live Bitches Brew and Herbie Hancock’s Mwandishi records. After Hancock broke up MwandishiRead More
The Latest from Something Else!
- A Halloween treat: Bob Dylan at Philharmonic Hall, New York City, October 31, 1964
- The Big Reveal: On movie plot points that change everything
- Warren Zevon, Talking Heads, Michael Jackson + others: Gimme Five, Halloween Edition
- Will Queen record with Adam Lambert next?: ‘I think it would be very interesting’
- Huntertones, “Theme from Jurassic Park” (2014): One Track Mind
- Bruce Springsteen, “Incident on 57th Street” (1973): Deep Cuts