photo: Cryptogramophone by Pico The hermitic but acclaimed multi-reedist Bennie Maupin is suddenly prolific. As a sideman for Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock during fusion’s formative years, Maupin’s versatility and sensitivity across a wide variety of wind instruments garnered him work on important documents of the genre live Bitches Brew and Herbie Hancock’s Mwandishi records. After Hancock broke up MwandishiRead More
The Latest from Something Else!
- Gutsy and diverse, Led Zeppelin’s Houses of the Holy remains unfairly overlooked
- Slash explains why Bob Dylan once refused to use his solo: ‘For me … the ultimate compliment’
- Grace Marino, “Coz Of You” (2015): Something Else! sneak peek
- Dennis DeYoung says ‘Glee’ finally got Styx’s ‘Come Sail Away’ right: ‘This song is not easy to sing’
- Steve Hackett, “Wolflight” from Wolflight (2015): One Track Mind
- The Blues Brothers insisted on lifting legacy artists: ‘We did not grab a share of it’