photo: Cryptogramophone by Pico The hermitic but acclaimed multi-reedist Bennie Maupin is suddenly prolific. As a sideman for Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock during fusion’s formative years, Maupin’s versatility and sensitivity across a wide variety of wind instruments garnered him work on important documents of the genre live Bitches Brew and Herbie Hancock’s Mwandishi records. After Hancock broke up MwandishiRead More
The Latest from Something Else!
- Joe Cocker stands as the last of the great interpreters: ‘It was stunning’
- Is the end nearing for Neil Young and Crazy Horse?: ‘I don’t know how to put it in words’
- Larry Carlton, “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” (2014): One Track Mind
- Fred Phillips’ Best of 2014 (Hard Rock + Metal): Judas Priest, Down, Alestorm, Grand Magus
- Roger Taylor hates the new Queen Forever compilation: ‘It’s bloody miserable!’
- Red Garland Trio, “On Green Dolphin Street” from Swingin’ on the Korner (2015)