photo: Cryptogramophone by Pico The hermitic but acclaimed multi-reedist Bennie Maupin is suddenly prolific. As a sideman for Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock during fusion’s formative years, Maupin’s versatility and sensitivity across a wide variety of wind instruments garnered him work on important documents of the genre live Bitches Brew and Herbie Hancock’s Mwandishi records. After Hancock broke up MwandishiRead More
The Latest from Something Else!
- Jerry Giddens + Killeen Foundry – Damn It Abby! (2014)
- Pink Floyd’s ugly split hasn’t soured Nick Mason on Roger Waters: ‘Still one of my oldest, dearest friends’
- Butcher Brown – All Purpose Music (2014)
- Best Steely Dan saxophone solos: Steely Dan Sunday
- Peter Gabriel, “What Lies Ahead” (2014): Something Else! sneak peek
- Foo Fighters – Sonic Highways (2014)