by S. Victor Aaron There seems to be this wonderful trend of late, where a newer generation of bass players are following the example of Charles Mingus and presenting themselves as serious composers and bandleaders. In the last year on this space we’ve profiled the latest releases of such luminaries as Drew Gress, Ben Allison, Bill Moring and Michael Bates.Read More
The Latest from Something Else!
- Joe Cocker stands as the last of the great interpreters: ‘It was stunning’
- Is the end nearing for Neil Young and Crazy Horse?: ‘I don’t know how to put it in words’
- Larry Carlton, “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” (2014): One Track Mind
- Fred Phillips’ Best of 2014 (Hard Rock + Metal): Judas Priest, Down, Alestorm, Grand Magus
- Roger Taylor hates the new Queen Forever compilation: ‘It’s bloody miserable!’
- Red Garland Trio, “On Green Dolphin Street” from Swingin’ on the Korner (2015)