by S. Victor Aaron There seems to be this wonderful trend of late, where a newer generation of bass players are following the example of Charles Mingus and presenting themselves as serious composers and bandleaders. In the last year on this space we’ve profiled the latest releases of such luminaries as Drew Gress, Ben Allison, Bill Moring and Michael Bates.Read More
The Latest from Something Else!
- Velvet Underground, “Sweet Jane [Early Version]” (2014) : One Track Mind
- Evan Parker, John Edwards + others, November 20, 2014: Shows I’ll Never Forget
- Jerry Giddens + Killeen Foundry – Damn It Abby! (2014)
- Pink Floyd’s ugly split hasn’t soured Nick Mason on Roger Waters: ‘Still one of my oldest, dearest friends’
- Butcher Brown – All Purpose Music (2014)
- Best Steely Dan saxophone solos: Steely Dan Sunday